Monday, September 12, 2016

READER MAIL


Hey there!

Since you seem to be the authority on this topic, i wanted to ask ya something.

I got lucky and stumbled onto a pair or black road champs in my size, at the Mister Freedom store of all places! Got them about a month ago and have worn them every day.

I've noticed that some black road champs out there, are more black than others. Mine are definitely a really dark brownish color when they are in daylight. I've heard that Christophe polishes his personal pair of black RC's with a black tinted polish to keep them black in color. If I wanted to enhance a black hue from them, what would you suggest? Is polishing them with black polish a good idea? I know some people like the different hues and textures, and I'm sure eventually, I'll let them wear how they may. But for now, id love to figure out how to get them to be jet black, if possible!

Any ideas? Ive noticed your road champs look pretty black as well

Thanks
J

www.vintageengineerboots.com

Hi J!

First off, congratulation on picking up a pair of highly coveted boots! I've recommended that folks visit the shop every so often as some rarities can be found at the brick and mortar not always advertised online.

Now back to your great question. Because the black (and brown) Road Champ Boots undergo an exclusive leather treatment and coloring process, each pair of boots possess their own unique color characteristics. My black pair are definitely on the blacker side of the black Road Champ spectrum.

Polishing them with a black polish of your choice is most certainly the best option to enhance the black hue. I personally use black Parade Gloss applied with a either a cotton cloth wrapped tight around my finger or Horsehair Polish Applicator and buffed with a Horsehair Shine Brush -- all made by Kiwi -- whenever I'm in the mood to freshen up my black leather footwear. Polish won't penetrate the leather all the way through giving the boots a chance to develop a nice brown patina later down the road with the option to reapply polish if desired -- leather dye is more of a permanent solution and may prove harder to develop a patina, if at all, depending on how deep the dye penetrates the vegetable tanned leather.

The above steps are simple and inexpensive and I think you'll be happy with the results.

Thanks for the e-mail!

Cheers!
John

No comments:

Post a Comment