Wednesday, May 15, 2013

MY NEW BADALASSI ENGINEER BOOTS BY JOHN LOFGREN & CO. x MUSHMANS


I've recently taken ownership of my third pair of the John Lofgren & Co. Engineer Boots in cognac.  This pair is the result of a collaboration between John Lofgren and Mushmans company using Italian tannery Badalassi Cowhide.

www.vintageengineerboots.com
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The first thing I noticed was the incredibly unique smell of the tannery fresh Badalassi leather followed by the equally unique and amazing color - only to get better with age.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It's a proven fact that this leather becomes darker and more rich over time, so I've decided to sun tan them a little before first use.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Another thing I noticed was how light this pair was compared to my other two pairs. This is partly due to the tanning process which leaves the leather less dense than your typical American-tanned hides. Japanese leather is equally as light - the actual livestock obviously plays a factor.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Triple stitching where they count at stress points on the heel counter and upper vamp prove that not only are these attractive Engineer Boots, but absolutely functional.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I've chosen to bring my black pair on vacation, so here they are together - trio photo to follow.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

These boots are definitely in a league of their own and anyone desiring a pair of 1950's-style Engineer Boots should consider what I feel to be the best of its style in my twenty-two years of collecting boots.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The unreinforced toe box allows for a highly desired deflated toe over a short period of normal and constant wear.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Here's an older photo of my black and brown pair.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

...and a mediocre photo taken today depicting the developing patina.

No comments:

Post a Comment