Friday, May 13, 2011

MURRAY'S FOR OBAMA

I just had to share this photo from CraftWorkWear - it takes me back to twenty years ago.  This tin is sure to be a collectors item. I'm not sure if Craft Work Wear stocks them in their Los Angeles store, but I do know they just opened up their online shop.

I remember my first experience with Murray's pomade.  It was 1991 during my "greaser" days (also the same year I purchased my very first pair of Engineer Boots.  After testing a slew of "grease" I happened upon...the orange can.  It's been around since the 1920's so it had to be good. 

I may have used too much that first day as I remember my head feeling tight and heavy as well as feeling overall dirty from head to toe.  I kept telling my buddies that I couldn't wait to get home and wash it off.  Ehhh, wrong.  There's no just "washing it off."  After realizing three shampoo treatments were no match for this wax-in-a-can, I went for the big guns; Dawn dishwashing liquid.   It managed to wash out most, but not all of it.

I went a week or so without using it again before realizing it's awesome strength and how cool it made your hair look.  I asked myself, "I use this product every day, so why try and wash it off each time?"  One shampoo treatment per shower is all I needed, then back on the grease went.   

These days I only use it when I go in for a short Marine Corps hair cut and need something to hold my hair down; otherwise, I use water-based pomades that have the same holding power and washes off with the slightest bit of water contact.

















Here I am in Afghanistan earlier this year wearing a ton of Murray's.  One thing is for sure, you can always find the orange can in any Post Exchange around the world.  It's a silly looking photo, but I just wanted to document how long and greasy my hair was in a combat zone.  While other Marines were out shaving their heads to avoid weekly haircuts and the long lines at the barber shop, I was staying true to my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment