Monday, April 5, 2010

THE MODERN SOUNDS

Although there are quite a few hours left until the official end to Viva Las Vegas 13 at The Orleans hotel, the culminating point for me was The Modern Sounds' performance in the main ballroom.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The Modern Sounds is a Chicago based trio featuring Joel Paterson on guitar and vocals; Beau Sample on string bass and vocals; Alex Hall on drums and vocals. This big little band is dedicated to performing traditional American music; specializing in rockabilly, hot jazz, western swing, classic blues and everything in between. The Modern Sounds are on the cutting edge of the Atomic Age—bringing you the best of the 30's, 40's and 50's.

At the end of their Sunday evening set, Deke Deickerson, who joined them for their last two songs, called them "The best new American band." I have to agree whole-heartedly with Deke - these guys R-O-C-K!!

Joel Patterson rocked out his vintage Gibson ES-295 (the Scotty Moore guitar) and proved that he is one very technically proficient and amazing guitar player.

I first discovered this band on You Tube and was very excited to see them on this years bill. If you're not familiar with this band, I highly recmmend you check them out on You Tube or their My Space page. I'd link it here, but blogging from my iPhone has proved very difficult for anythng beyond the basics.

3 comments:

  1. Nice guys all of them! The drummer Alex Hall is running Sutton's recording studio and is a wicked piano player to boot. I've used Beau for a few Hi-Q's gigs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw them live in NY at the Rodeo Bar with Deke about six months ago then again opening for Deke in Sacramento three weeks ago.
    Their performance last night was great in Vegas.. they're a very talented band with a unique sound and their recordings are very well done.

    PS, good to finally meet you in person this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are a GREAT band and I'm glad to have finally caught them live.

    It was a pleasure meeting you as well, Kiya - sorry we didn't get to hang out. To be honest, I didn't do much of anything at VLV. You can say I pretty much veg'd out.

    ReplyDelete