Monday, October 24, 2016

READER MAIL


John,

I really enjoy your blog and appreciate all of the helpful information you give. It was your blog that really got me to start loving engineer boots in the first place and now they're pretty much all that I wear.

I have a pair of Lofgren Engineers in Natural CXL that I love, but unfortunately got a mild cut on them recently, much more than a simple scuff. I have sense conditioned the boots (I was doing this with all of my boots anyway) and was wondering if there is anything else you would recommend doing to repair or at least mask this scratch. I can add a picture if that would help.

Also, I highly recommend checking out Clinch boots if you can. I have a pair and absolutely love them to the point that I have ordered a second pair. They are handwelted like Brian's boots are... though I am sure I am not the first person to tell you this.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jake

www.vintageengineerboots.com

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the e-mail and kind words. It appears you're experiencing the same problem CJ asked about earlier this year. Here is was my response to the cut on his Buco boots back in January.


Hi CJ, 

Bummer about the cut. Not to worry, though, there is an easy fix for it. 

Back when we still wore leather combat boots (aka "Cadillac's") it was difficult to maintain our spit shines while working around equipment and a lot of the time we ended up with deep gouges and scrapes on our boots by the end of the day. Rather than risk being "corrected" by anyone of higher rank for not being squared away, we quickly learned how to repair these uniform discrepancies. 

Here's what you'll need:

GLUE- Back then (over twenty years ago), Crazy Glue was my bonding liquid of choice, but after working with leather for so many years I learned that Elmer's (yes, school glue) works wonders as a leather bonding agent. There's also glue marketed specifically for leather work. 

 - Because yours is a straight forward cut and not a gouge with a flap, I'd personally use Crazy Glue. 

POINTY OBJECT (fine point) - A sewing needle or bamboo skewer point to carefully apply the glue.

SANDPAPER (fine grit) - 1200 grit should do the job

LEATHER DYE (black) 

Q-TIP

SHOE POLISH (black)

Instructions:
- To avoid accidentally applying too much glue on the leather, you'll want to squeeze some onto a piece of paper or cardboard. 

- Using the needle or skewer, dab the tip and carefully apply it along length of the cut. Don't worry about overfilling the cut - you just don't want glue to drip anywhere outside of it. If this occurs, use a damp paper towel to wipe it right off. 

- Once the glue is completely dry, use the sandpaper to even out the glue. Wipe the area clean with a damp paper towel and let dry. 

- At this point, use a Q-Tip to carefully apply leather dye along the length of the cut, allow to dry. You can polish the boots to even everything out, or leave it as-is if you already have a nice patina.

This is a procedure I've done many times over the years, so I know it works. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
John

No comments:

Post a Comment