Thursday, May 26, 2016

1960'S SEARS WEARMASTER


Brand: Sears Roebuck and Co.
Model: Wearmaster
Circa: Late 1950’s – mid-1960's
Color: Black
Size: "9"
Measurements:
Length: 11 1/5"
Width: 4"
Soles: Full Composition
Leather: Oil-Tanned Cowhide
Hardware: Brass

Sold by Seller #1: $325.00

Sold by Seller #2: Best offer from $1,500

I haven’t featured any vintage boots lately as the market has been extremely lacking in anything worth noting. My friend Warren is always good about sending me links to boots of interest, so let’s talk about this pair of Sears Wearmasters.  

 
Advertised by the original auctioneer as dating back to the 1950’s, he/she was definitely in the ball park -- second seller pitched them as “1940’s 50’s.” It’s worth mentioning; however, that at a minimum, they most likely came out during the latter part of the 1950’s and as late as the mid-1960’s. There are just differences, albeit minimal, that set these apart (for me) and defines the line between a two-hundred dollar and a thousand dollar pair of Vintage Engineer Boots. I would definitely pay decent money for a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle over a 1974 model any day -- Same body style, yet things like head and tail lights, sleeker body and other “small” things collectors key in on can make or break the deal. The same thing applies with Engineers. 

 
 
The profile is okay, but I don't get that visceral reaction with these like I would with say a pair from the late 1940's or early 1950's.

 
Notice the unusually large triangle stitching on the upper strap as compared to the narrow vertical rectangle of those found on older models. I’m not the biggest fan of full composition soles. I wouldn’t kick it out of bed, but given the option I’d go half-sole almost all the time. 

 
 
 
 
It appears the new seller accepted a best offer from the optimistic starting bid of $1,500. For these boots, I wouldn’t pay any more than what the second seller snagged them for. Anything over five bills and you’re just getting into the territory of the many homage boots available today. Don’t get me wrong. I lovez me some vintage leather, but today’s companies are making the decision to go vintage that much more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment