Tuesday, March 3, 2015

READER MAIL


Hey,

I love your blog. I've been checking it out for a few years now, at least. Thanks for doing it!!

I've been considering getting a MF Campus jacket but was wondering about the sizing. I know you have one, and it looks great on you, so I figured I'd pick your brain.

Normally, I'd get a 38 in a jacket but they always have some kind of lining in them. I'm a bit hesitant to get the 38 in this jacket bc I'm afraid it could be a bit large. This is suppose to fit almost like a shirt jacket, correct? With a jacket like this, I need it to fit spot on.

I have a leather jacket right now (Repro of a Beck 333 D pocket) and it measures, 17.5 shoulder, 23.25 length, 21 pit to pit, 23 arm length, 19 opening. It fits well with a t-shirt, thin layers or a thin hoodie. Do you think the 38 campus jacket would be ok? I want to be able to wear it in a variety of ways. It seems like it is really close to fitting me but I'm nervous that it might be a touch big without the lining... He no longer has the 36 size. For reference, I'm 5'7 and weigh about 155. I'm not bone thin, I have muscles but I'm not what you'd call Super Man.

Also, I've considered getting an Aero jacket from Scotland in a 1930's-style. Not sure if you have experience with them, but I'm wondering how this Campus jacket would stand up to their quality . I've never owned anything by Mister Freedom.

Thanks so much for your time. You are one cool ass dude.

Sincerely,
Michael S.

www.vintageengineerboots.com

Hi Michael, 

Thank you for the e-mail! Yes. To me, the jacket is meant to fit like a shirt jacket (think Buco J-100) and based on  your Beck 333 measurements, a size 38 should suit you well, although I wouldn't rule out a size 36 for a more fitted look/feel.

A size 38 that was recently offered for sale had the following measurements:
Chest:19 1/2"
Shoulder: 17 1/2"
Length" 22 1/2"

And measurements on my size 36 Campus Jacket are as follows (taken multiple times with the same results): 
Chest (pit to pit at widest points): 20 1/2"
Shoulder (across top of shoulders): 17 3/8"
Sleeve (shoulder seam to cuff): 25"
Length (base of collar down back): 21 7/8"


I'm familiar with the Aero jackets, but don't own anything from them. To compare the two is like comparing apples and oranges. The Campus is in a league of its own as it can be worn on a hot summer day or heavily layered during the cold winter. As for quality, I can only attest to the fact that the Campus is built like other Mister Freedom pieces and can withstand excessive wear ... and look better at the end of the day.

I hope this helps and please feel free to hit me up with any other questions you may have.

Cheers!
John

No comments:

Post a Comment