Sunday, September 1, 2013

READER MAIL


I was trying to dig hard to find anything to fill "This Week in Boots," but there's just so much crap out there not worth mentioning and nothing to really gain from.  Good effort, but I think that series will be shelved ... for now.  

Moving on,  I received an e-mail from a lucky reader by the name of Todd.  Todd and I have been corresponding for some time now on certain boots.  He's a fellow owner the Mister Freedom Road Champ Engineer Boots and even had a close call on some falsely advertised Horsehide Engineer Boots that turned out to be ... well, crap.  I'm glad he touched base with me on them before he pulled the trigger. 

Brand: Woods-N-Stream by Weinbrenner (Learn about this company on my lexicons series here)
Model: Country Gentleman
Circa: 1950's
Color: Reddish Brown
Size: 11
Measurements:
Sole: 12
Width: 4 1/4"
Sole: Armortred Oil Resisting crepe
Hardware: Brass roller buckles and Talon zippers
Leather: Oil Tanned Cowhide
Sold For: $132.49 / 20 Bids

Here's a pair of boots I've been hoping to find since I first saw them on Rin Tanaka's My Freedamn! 5 book and not only did Todd find them in his size, he found them for nearly nothing. I'd have easily placed a bid in the area of five to six bills if they were my size.  

www.vintageengineerboots.com
Photo Source:  My Freedamn! by Rin Tanaka


There are some slight differences with  this pair that lead me to believe they are slightly later than the ones featured on My Freedamn!  These have wedge soles ... 


The flattened toe box is something collectors pay really good money for.  I'd box these right back up and send them over to either Okuyama in Japan or Willie's on La Brea in Los Angeles to have heeled crepe soles or even traditional double leather soles with Cat's Paw half-soles, stacked heels and Cat's Paw heel caps put on 'em.




The font is noticeably different.  I personally feel these are from at least the early 1960's.


Photo Source:  This and below photos My Freedamn! by Rin Tanaka

These boots have rivets at the base of the zipper on the inside that Todd's don't have


No comments:

Post a Comment