Thursday, April 12, 2012

READER MAIL


Thanks to Michael for this segment.  I'm looking forward to see how these great boots age.

Hello! I've been reading your blog, and I really love your posts. You've inspired me to get some engineer boots (I primarily used to go after lace-ups--I have some whites sd and bounty hunters, aldens, etc.) I think I'm sure that I would want some Wesco boots, with the motor patrol toes last to simulate the "narrow wescos" as you've mentioned in your previous post. But I'm unsure about sizing--I'm an 8D in white's SD, so I gather that I'm a 8D in the boss last, but I've read somewhere that the motor patrol last tends to run larger. But should I still go after an 8D to get that "flattened" toe look? Also, if I have very narrow ankles/calves, (and want to wear them under jeans) should I make the calf area narrower by an inch? Or are they already pretty tight to put on. Sorry about the deluge of questions, but I would love to get some of your insight. Thanks! I'll be sure to send you some pictures when they come in.

Thanks for the e-mail. I, too, am an 8D in White's SD's and my WESCO Boss boots are 8D. I haven't heard that the PT last run larger. I recommend going 8D on your custom WESCO's. As for the "flattened" toe look, you're not going to get it with the PT...or any other last as they use celastic on their toes. Now you may be able to have them made without celastic, but I don't know of anyone who's been successful with that request. The boot shaft is a matter of taste. For me, I just go with the company standard.  When I just buckle the top strap without any tension, I don't feel a thing...or I'm just used to it.

Really, in my opinion, the top strap and boot shaft are non-functional and tightening down on the instep strap will mitigate your concern about your ankles.

I just wanted to let you know, if you didn't already, that if you order Wesco boots through Bakershoe you can specify roller buckles. Just FYI! granted, since they are Baker's own buckles I'm not sure how the quality is, but it shouldn't be bad.  I just ordered a a pair of engineer boots from them, with the motor patrol toe with normal boss heel, and I'll send over pictures when they arrive! Thanks for all of your help once again. Also, Kyle said that he can try to get NO celastic OR steel toe for the toebox, which would be pretty awesome, but I'll let you know if this can be done.



Just as an update, with some pictures. The boots came in from Wesco two weeks ago, and I'm very pleased. The only thing that I would change is that I could only get the standard heel option (Wesco would NOT budge on that request) for the motor patrol toe, since the "standard boss heel" is reserved for the Wesco Narrows in Japan. But when these need to get resoled, I'll go ahead and send them over to Okuyama and have some proper heels put on. Might change out the nickle roller buckles for some brass ones too while I'm at it. But one thing that you might be interested in--these have no celastic toe, as you can see in the final picture--soft toes. Thanks for all or your help! Also, sorry about the shitty photos.