Wednesday, January 4, 2012

1960'S CHIPPEWA ENGINEER BOOTS

Brand: Unknown
Circa: 1960's
Color: Black
Size: 8 - 8 1/2
Measurements:
Sole: 11 1/2"
Width: 4 1/8"
Height: 11 1/2"
Sole: Cord Nylon Armortred
Hardware: Brass
Leather: Oil Tanned Cowhide
Sold For: $332.77 / 15 Bids

I'm uncertain as t the high demand for these boots that are clearly (at a minimum) circa 1960's, but I sure hope the interest wasn't sparked by the loose use of "horsehide" or the "unique band/collar." At best, these Vintage Engineer Boots are made with double tanned cowhide and the added collar appears to be an attempt to alter them (shorties?) at some point, but reattached due to a change of heart.

Also, notice the use of brass rivets on one boot, but not in the other.  These boots, to me, scream "factory seconds" with a side order of failed period modifications.

This is in no way intended to bash the seller (that's never my intention), but to bring to light certain things to key in on when the decision to spend hard-earned money on this style of footwear is made.

I guess thirty to fifty bucks would sell me on them.  I'd then remove the buckles for later use and perhaps use the rest as scrap leather.