Sunday, April 10, 2011

DAMAGED DEADSTOCK VINTAGE ENGINEER BOOTS

Brand: Unknown
Circa: "1930's or 1940's"
Color: Black
Size: 9D
Measurements:
Length: 11 1/2”
Width:  4"
Soles: Leather
Heels: B.F. Goodrich
Leather: Unknown
Hardware: Nickel
Condition: Damaged, Deadstock
Sold For: $374.99 / 7 Bids
Seller: mcboy

Here's a pair of boots I would have loved to get my paws on.  Although these sustained obvious dry rot  over the years, I'd say they are still very wearable and the damaged upper strap is such an easy do-it-yourself repair.  I wouldn't wear them as bike riding PPE, but they are still a great pair of boots to just kick around with.  I wouldn't have paid any more than two bills for these, but I guess it wasn't too exorbitant a price.

The large square buckle is very indicative of the type Red Wing uses.  With the lower (but not too low) heel, hardware (especially the D buckle on the upper straps) and profile, I would date these at around late 1940's to early 1950's.

The seller stated the presence of an obvious "9D" stamp, but the measurements are consistent with a size 8D; different times, different sizing.  In undamaged NOS condition, these would easily go for $800-$1,000 at auction.




No comments:

Post a Comment