Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NOT-SO-GOOD ENGINEER BOOTS

Here's a pair of Engineer Boots that have popped up online quite a bit lately.  They have a distinctive 1950's look to them, but when you start peeling away the layers it's obvious that they were probably the lowest quality boots available during whatever circa they're from.  I know - I owned a pair sometime around 2004.  I wanted to like them, but I couldn't get over the horribly cheap "leather" and one-piece molded rubber sole/heel combo.  If you look close enough, you can see a mold seam at the back center of the heel.

I imagine they are at least from the 1970's, but who knows...

They're good looking enough that I, for one second, contemplated purchasing another after selling mine.  If I could get my hands on a pair for five bucks, maybe i'll give in - I wouldn't pay a penny more, though, and would only use them just to putz around the house.  If I needed roller buckles for a custom pair of Wesco Boss', I'd add another five spot to them.  They're that bad.

2 comments:

  1. I just came over from the US militaria site to read your blog. Ever encounter "Iron Age' engineer boots? In the large Detroit-area auto plant I worked in, we had a shoe store in the plant, and I bought a pair,probably in the late '70s. Much better made than this example here, with very heavy leather, and steel toes. I still have them-neglected out in the garage for many years, and brought in and cleaned up when I realized how many people were looking for this type of boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matter of fact, I once owned a pair of Iron Age Engineers - the appealing part is that they are made in the good ol' U.S. of A.

    Thanks for your comment.

    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete