Thursday, May 13, 2010

MV-22 OSPREY

I knew I was traveling with my Commanding General, Brigadier General Ruark, to Camp Al Asad from Camp Al Taqaddum for a site survery of future Marine Logistics Group work spaces, but when I heard we were going to travel via MV-22 Osprey's, I had mixed feelings. 

I was still a "New Join" to 5th Marines when in April 2000, during the early stages of the tiltrotor aircract with vertical takeoff and landing capabilities, 19 Marines from my unit were killed when their MV-22 crashed near Arizona.  As a Logistician, riding in an Osprey was never something I thought I'd ever do.  Well, it happened. And it happened in and over a combat zone.  Needless to say, I couldn't help but think of every negative event that could take place.

I have to say that it was one of the smoothest flights (and safest) I've ever experienced.  I've flown in almost every military transport aircraft as well as the Marine Corps CH-53 Super Stallion and the Osprey blows them all away.  I wouldn't turn down an offer to fly in one again.

This is a photo I snapped of the one I flew in
Full combat load with my M-4 Carbine by my side.  I was able to crack a smile, but deep down I was perty nervous











2 comments:

  1. Bill's jealous, he wants to ride in one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to be - he's a military man. All of us military folks'll get a chance, eventually. I NEVER thought I'd get one. You just neva, neva know...

    It's good to hear from you guys!!!

    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete